Friday, March 15, 2019

and he hit me

“He hit me, And it felt like a kiss, He hit me But it didn't hurt me
He couldn't stand to hear me say, That I'd been with someone new,
And when I told him I had been untrue, He hit me, And it felt like a kiss
He hit me, And I knew he loved me. If he didn't care for me
I could have never made him mad, But he hit me, And I was glad
Yes, he hit me And it felt like a kiss, He hit me
And I knew I loved him, And then he took me in his arms
With all the tenderness there is, And when he kissed me,
He made me his.” “He Hit Me” (It Felt Like a Kiss)/by, King & Goffin

I grew up having to relinquish our one and only television in our house my sisters, Maxine and Bonnie during the 4:30 to 6:00 Monday through Friday time slot, because American Bandstand was playing, and no one or nothing, not even the Cold War and the threat of “Duck and Cover” would tear my two older sisters away from watching Dick Clark, and all of my sister’s favorite Bandstand regulars from Philadelphia. My sister Maxine passed away many months ago, as did my brother-in-law, Jerry, my sister Bonnie’s husband, and ever since I have been collecting music that reminded of the innocence of youth and life, way back in the day. I discovered a playlist of some real oldie, oldies, many, songs written for what was unique at the time “Girl Groups”. I had heard of the Crystals, but when the song He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss ) played, I actually stopped working out, played and replayed the song several times, muttering out loud, you got to be kidding me…this was actually a song!

"He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss)" is a song written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King for girl group the Crystals under the guidance of Phil Spector in 1962. Goffin and King wrote the song after discovering that their babysitter and singer Little Eva was being regularly beaten by her boyfriend. When they inquired why she tolerated such treatment, Eva replied, with complete sincerity, that her boyfriend's actions were motivated by his love for her.

Today, was my first day back at the gym since my shoulder replacement, and I brought my trusty Jabra Earbuds and found my playlist of songs recorded by “Girl Groups”, and as if it was fate and not coincidence, as the He Hit Me, came blaring through my earbuds, the TV in the cardio room of the gym was showcasing Trump Vetoing the Bi-Patrician bill to end the Trump demented and declared National Emergency…And I thought, whoa, what a connection between the self-hating MAGA morons and the sad and lonely women back in the ’50s and ’60s who somehow considered violence toward them to be a sign of compassion, even love. Trump has become that Lover for whom every exception is being made no matter who he hates, who he has a bias for, who he relegates as less than and for whom he will never have any respect. And like the song, He Hit Me played, I almost felt sorry for the pathetic MAGA minions who ACTUALLY  believe love is painful and that in fact they too will someday soon feel the wrath of that misconstrued love as it comes down harsh and hard upon them. He Hit me and it felt like a kiss, talk about a perverted reality!