Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Now I'm 64


It was 1966 and my high school English teacher had her class read the book 1984. This nation could never ever be so restrictive or subversive. It was 1968 and the movie “2001, A Space Odyssey” was released. Computers with a mind of their own, REALLY! It was 1990 and the doomsday countdown clock was ticking away as the new millennium of 2000 was a decade away. Would the world as we knew it melt and cave? It was 1967 and the Beatles album ‘Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band’ released a song titled ‘When I’m 64’. Cute song but in 1967 I was graduating from high school, 18 years of age, and nothing about those lyrics was remotely relevant. These were dates in the future that were intriguing, interesting, but it was the future and honestly there was so much of the present to first deal with. Good read, good movie and great song, but get real people those dates were sooooooo far away!

For those of us born in 1949, (the cool term is mid century- go to any antique store selling furniture from 1949 to 1969 and that is what they sell) 2013 seemed so damn far away. Perhaps there might be a Totalitarian form of Government. Maybe computers would be as smart and cunning as humans. The 21 first century might start out as a technical nightmare. But first we had a whole 63 years ahead of us to become the mighty, indulge in dreams, find our fancies and live a life to its fullest. When I’m 64, that would be a song your parents or grandparents should be singing! 

‘Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?’ The chorus rambling throughout the song just asks a basic question of I’m here do you care and if you care how? It was a question I had never bothered to ask because 64 was way far off. Well on October 21, 2013 it arrived! Now on October 22 2013 it has passed just as the other momentous dates of1984, 2000, 2001. It now has become a yesterday, a part of my history. I now shall reflect and ponder its impact and precision in defining my future. No longer is the question when I’m 64 but the bigger issue is of what have I become at 64? (But then maybe it will take turning 65 to answer that)  Pondering, wondering, wishing  are all a part of a new year,truly exceptional birthday gifts each. Being able to enjoy life is however the crowning jewel. Now that I am 64 it is important to thank my family and friends for making me strong, a few enemies for keeping me stronger; 64 years and a day of strength. 

When I am 64 is now so passé! Thank you everyone for the memories made and the new ones to be created! Thanks for the wishes, dreams, hopes and prayers!

No comments :