Monday, July 6, 2009

empty promises

Senator Mc Cain, produced a four minute informercial/Fourth of July greeting. Aside from the poor reading from the tele-prompter, a very painfully slow delivery, the Senator made some statements about the glory and grandeur of the United States, and our history.

I applaud the Senator for reminding us of how great a nation we have become, but in his lessons from the past regarding the fighting of tyranny, seeking freedoms, wanting equal justice, and finding democratic means to reach these goals, the Senator never once mentioned the struggle for the LGBT community.

The Senator spoke about slavery, women's rights, the ability for for all citizens to live a just and equal life in this country, but never once once said, directly, how all of the perks of a perfect democracy should affect and be effective in stopping the alienation of the LGBT American citizen.

The thing is, for me, IS when a politician seems to be saying the right thing, but never really says the words to cause an action to take place thus making the deed come to fruition then nothing really has been spoken. Empty promises! Talking about freedom, equality, fairness, but never saying how it should come to one of the last bastions of a minority population in this country, the LGBT community, worries me; because the silence in this case is more deafening than the pretty posturing of words assuming that justice will reign. How will IT reign if no one mentions the names of the people it is supposed to reign upon?

I get so tired of rhetoric with no real resonance. I get tired of weak words. I get tired of silence when it comes to substance.

We do live in a great nation, but when the greatness is geared for a few and not the many, when the laws are made to protect the fears, the bigotry, the uneducated masses of a land, I wonder, how those in the minority will ever become a priority.

I am tired of waiting. I am 59, I do not want to miss the opportunity to see my LGBT peers lose the opportunity to marry via a Federal Amendment, or have my peers adopt children freely, or watch the younger generation of soldiers, sailors, pilots (who happen to be LGBT individuals) serve this nation, And I do not want to watch from a distance as a loved one dies in a hospital because someone forgot to bring a paper from the attorney saying they are partners and it is okay to have their lover die in his/her arms.

So Senator Mc Cain, nice words, but empty in content. If you are a true American hero, sir, why not be brave enough and say, ENOUGH, we must PRESERVE and DEMAND equal rights for all Americans, and those Americans INCLUDE the LGBT community.

I am so tired of erroneous words and EMPTY PROMISES.

No comments :