Tuesday, August 25, 2009

a man can dream

On Friday, the afternoon before the Jewish Sabbath, Senator Joe Leiberman, a man proud of his orthodox Jewish upbringing, told the press that morally it would make sense to provide health care to all Americans. But he added with the national deficit rising, and the recession quite not in check, we should wait another year or two.

I suppose that if people were already sick, or with inadequate health services or health care, they could certainly continue on the path of dying, being sick or just surviving one more year.

The Senator must have felt comforted in his compassion for those without health coverage, because saying you care, and not acting upon it must be all it takes to pretend you have a heart, a soul, conscience and a good religious belief in God.

As Jewish man I had been taught that the God I believe in really does not care about bottom line profits for Big Health Care Corporations, nor fat pay checks for the CEO's of each health Care Corporation or that the stock holders receive mega bucks for their stock.

I was taught about moral judgements being a priority and all other aspects of living had to follow doing what was right for one another, so life on earth was not hell on Earth.

I was taught that my higher power actually cared if I hurt, if I was hungry, if I was treated less than equal, if I was not my brother's keeper.

I was taught that I should do unto others as I would have them do unto me.

So Senator Leiberman, so cavalier and so callous just decided that the status quo for the under insured the non insured, was okay. That he (Leiberman) knew the morality of the issue, the good Jewish man that he is, but practicality trumps morality. Those in pain emotionally or physically can remain in pain because the pain of trying to correct the injustice of the health system is JUST TOO DAMN painful.

One day I would love to see a large hand appear from the clouds. The index finger and the thumb of that large hand come together in a tiny oval. Then have a loud voice say, you hypocritical bastards, stop using my name in vein. stop pretending you know and can speak for me. Why not try being human, the way I really created you.

Then have that finger and thumb sort out losers like Leiberman and fling them across the horizon.

A man can dream.





No comments :