Tuesday, September 21, 2010

i wonder

A Senate bill to repeal the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy was defeated 56-43, Tuesday; a major setback for gay groups that saw the vote as their last chance this year to overturn the 17-year-old ban.

Advocates had been optimistic that the Democratic-controlled White House and Congress could overcome objections to repeal of the law barring gays from serving openly in the military. The move is unpopular among Republicans, military officers and social conservatives.

But in the end, Senate Democrats fell short of the 60 votes needed to limit debate and advance the legislation. Associated Press.

Makes me wonder, just who’s America this is? Makes me wonder who is granted access to the freedoms our Constitution grants and who doesn’t matter? Makes me wonder, how we allow fear, loathing, religious dogma, ignorance take precedent over truth, equality, honest and integrity permitting a majority to deny the minority. Makes me wonder how we value the differences in each other over the sameness. Makes me wonder who will be next not to fit into some Republican/Christian Conservative/Tea Bag definition of these United States.

Makes me wonder how many of the 56 Senators who voted against the repeal of the policy have ever served in the military, or how many of their children, grandchildren have served? Makes me wonder if the 56 Senators who voted for the wars in Iraq, and Afghanistan have ever met any of the LGBT service members who have given their life, their limbs, in those wars? Makes me wonder if the 56 Senators who voted not to repeal “don’t ask don’t tell” were more concerned about their personal lives and could care not one ounce about the lives of the LGBT community who fight every day for freedom.

Makes me wonder what would happen if ALL LGBT members of the armed services would collectively resign from the military. Makes me wonder what would happen to our troops when strong, intelligent, brave, caring, patriots would suddenly go away? Makes me wonder exactly how many non Gay service members there would really be?

I wonder just how much more prejudice, bigotry, bias, and religious based harassment the LGBT community should and could take. I wonder when we as a community reach our tipping point and say enough is enough. I wonder when true American freedom and justice comes to all of us?

And most of all I wonder why the LGBT community would want to serve a country which has the highest disregard for a demographic population of the country based on innuendo, fearful clergy, and those who wrap their flag around hate. I wonder when enough is enough?


No comments :