Wednesday, September 29, 2010

say what you mean

"Every single one of you is a shareholder in that mission of rebuilding our country and reclaiming our future."


"We can't let this country fall backwards because the rest of us didn't care enough to fight," he said. "The stakes are too high for our country and for your future." Quote from a rally at the University of Wisconsin. Tuesday September 28, 2010. President Barak Obama Tuesday, September 28, 2010.


Vice President Biden telling the progressives to “stop whining” quote from the hallowed halls of the West Wing.


And so hope is handed out along with don’t hope so much. Change is provided, provided you don’t want that much change. The future is glowing but it will take more of an immediate wait and see to bask in the glow.


The stakes we are told are high, just don’t raise your standards too high and go with the flow even if it feels like a teeny tiny trickle. Understand that what we got is good enough for now, and follow the lead of those who know politics way better than you and reap the rewards of waiting without whining.


And I voted for “change I could believe in”, and pressed the flesh of many of my friends and family to do so and was so proud that finally this country voted in office politicians who would care for the less fortunate, help the minority, share the wealth and put into place rules and regulations equalizing the playing field as much as possible.


As a middle class American, financially, I believed that the tax breaks for the wealthy, the benefits bestowed to those who could afford tax loopholes, high end attorneys, and write offs would trickle down to me. As a Gay American I believed that equal but separate was obsolete, and marriage, adoptions, serving in the military were granted as basic human and equal rights in our Constitution. As an American parent of two kids I thought that health care, education, working environment would permit my children and their children to afford the best in the world. As an American baby boomer working from the age of 16 to now almost 61, that my efforts, my taxes, my giving to the Government would reap me a reward permitting me to retire with dignity without fear of homelessness or two less meals on the table. As an American human being I wanted to be sure my environment, the world in which I breathe and share space with billions of others would become healthier and safer. As an American Democrat I felt confident that having a majority in the Congress and having a Democratic administration, the treason, the tricks, the charades, the chaos committed by the Republicans in power for the past eight years would end.


I voted for “change I could believe in”. And Mr. President Mr. Vice President you did say it wouldn’t be easy but what you didn’t say was that part of making it not easy would be the lack of a back bone, the missing spine, the selfishness of the Democrats elected. What you didn’t say was that all of those lack ofs would surpass the nerve, the will and the guts to make change happen.


I will support the Democrats running for office because the Tea Bag/Republicans running against them are Un-American, self consuming, selfish, ideologues who want the rich to get richer, hate anyone they deem as different, and confuse the Constitution with a Christian Holy Bible and use both as outline for an unholy war.


I worry about an America that turns so far right we no longer have rights or freedoms. I worry about an America which permits hate and loathing and confuses fiction with fact. I worry about an America who is led by hypocrites who set a moral standard never to follow it in their own lives. I worry about an America that is racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, Islamaphobic, gender biased, and bigoted. But I worry also that the people we elected to make those changes have taken many Americans for granted. And now Mr. President, Mr. Vice President, you want us to forget the immediate past and trust once again, almost as the Kellogg’s Corn Flake commercial jingle states, ‘to try us again for the first time’. And as we try YOU again for the first time you promise us we can trust in change we can believe in?


The sad thing is you got my vote this time because the lesser of two evils dictates I vote for the Democrats, too scary not to.


President Obama, I believe in your words, I want to once again believe in your heart and your actions. And Vice President Biden, if we didn’t whine, you would have had no idea how much more we expected. Promises half filled are somewhat like little white lies both ending up empty and egregious. Say what you mean and mean what you say or just remain silent.

No comments :