Sunday, July 17, 2011

My summer place

"When the light of each summer's day reaches its end, I'll sit by the fire with all my new friends. A million tomorrows will never erase the fun and the joy, the beauty of my summer place." Emma Farm Camp song circa 1968.

Joe And I are sitting at Logan Airport waiting to board the plane home to LA, returning there from our stay in Provincetown. Joe spent two weeks in this field of dreams, and I managed a week. For those having never been on the flexed arm of the Cape, Provincetown is a place where saying I can, is as natural as saying hello, and being a kid again is as simple as inhaling and exhaling.

Our last night, took us to an intimate dinner at a wonderful restaurant called Devon's. We sat at a table overlooking the water and as if we had ordered it, the full moon dressed in reddish orange, was erupting from the horizon begging all and everyone to croon a tune or at least spoon. The moon was wrapped in wispy white Queen Annes Lace and seemed to play a game of hide and seek, begging all those in Provincetown to find it. And when it was found, the beams of light danced to a waltz on the calm deep purple waters of the Bay. Mesmerizing would be saying the least, hypnotizing just touching the surface.

For Joe, Provincetown is a land of discovery, delight, and delicious what if's and why not's. It is his place to be more than a name, not just a face, but a unique man whose talents and kindness are appreciated, respected and sought. It is his summer place. Provincetown for Joe is a kind of Disneyland, where you are never too old to be a kid and never too wise to learn more. As Joe's partner, Provincetown aside from being magical for me, is a place I can witness the man I love, loving life.

When I was lucky enough to have worked at Emma Kaufmann Camp my summers seemed seamless. I could be creative, carefree, and collect memories on a daily basis and many times by the hour. Emma Kaufmann Camp was my summer place, and as a 61 year old man, I still recall and reflect on a time once so long ago, but a time that never seems to leave my psyche.

As Joe and I sit in the terminal looking out the window seeing traces of the Bay in the distance, we both sigh and sigh again as our minds meander to the place which has become a transfusion of joy and happiness, peace and comfort. A place not like any other, Provincetown.

"My memories of camp will stay with me always, the blue of the water the green of the trees, and when I do leave her it will be but briefly and when I return I will say..." Emma Kaufmann Camp song circa 1969

I hope we all have a place that resonates with rhythm and rhyme, smiles and sincerity and we are lucky enough to travel back if not in the physical, but via emotions, and spirit. we all need our summer place. Ah to be human.

No comments :