Thursday, July 7, 2011

twitter me this

The President thinks legalizing Gay marriage should be a state by state choice. Interesting, women’s reproductive rights and the right for an abortion are now being handled state by state, and if you live in the state of Kansas you may not find one clinic even open to even permit discussion on the pro’s or con’s of an abortion. If you go to Texas, you will have to go to a Pro Life Clinic, listen to their propaganda and invention of science before you can ever speak to a neutral doctor. In 1861, the states that decided slavery was in their purview and jurisdiction also decided that war would be the answer to keep bigotry alive and keep alive the fact that all men and women were not created equal.

I don’t have a Twitter account, so even though I would have loved to “play” on line with the President, and ask him a few questions in Twitter speak, I couldn’t. And perhaps my questions would have had too many words so I would have been unable to communicate any way. But I do have a few questions for the President and wish somehow he could answer them.

Why does he, seem to think certain rights and freedoms should be a national priority and certain rights and freedoms stop at the borderline of one state to another? Why does my marriage to the person I love have merit and substance in New York, but means nothing when I go to Idaho? Why could I file a joint tax form in Massachusetts but pay a fine or penalty if I do so with my Federal Income Tax form? Why as a woman who seeks information on my body, my reproductive rights, who seeks knowledge about an abortion, hoping to stay healthy get fair advice in California but run the risk of going to jail in South Dakota? Why can I access Planned Parenthood clinics in many states but if I go to Indiana my health is of less concern? And why is it that slavery was abolished in the United States when certain states felt that life, liberty and pursuit of happiness were really not important for all of their residents?

I would then ask the President, why are somethings like equality, justice, fairness politicized by someone who says he is the president of ALL Americans. Why do I as a woman, a member of the LGBT community have to beg borrow and steal just to live a normal life, an American life, a life which supposedly my Constitution says is one as a citizen I am entitled to? Why do I have to wait to love whomever I want to love, stay as healthy as much as I want, choose my destiny as I wish?

Mr. President you speak out of two tongues, the first is of a compassionate man and the second is of a politician. Compassion should flow like a river as it finds its way to the ocean. A politician has too many roadblocks, detours, by-ways and never seems to find any destination, except what is good for he or she.

Mr. President are you the president of ALL Americans in ALL 50 states? Are you the president of ALL Americans? Then what about me and my rights as a woman as a member of the LGBT community? How much longer do we have to wait?

Twitter me this Mr. President, when will ALL Americans be equal?

No comments :