Friday, July 15, 2011

P-Town

Last night the moon was almost full, the moonbeams extending to the calm water of the Bay, and Joe and I were lucky enough to have been strolling on Commercial Street in Provincetown witness to all of this. We stopped, mesmerized by not only the reflection on the water, but amazed by the colors dancing in front of our eyes. Only in Provincetown can I actually see shades of black, hundreds of hues in blue, and purples and pinks never ever copied on the easel of any artist. Last night the moon was boldly over the water and in its outreach to Earth it not only provided dancing light, but calm and peace, dreams and desires, hope and happiness, all of which come with spending time in Provincetown.

I have been in P-Town for 5 days and the transformation from worry and angst to what day of the week is it and who cares what time of day it is came quickly. The minute I boarded the Ferry from Boston I could feel the weight of this and that falling off my shoulders, and once I stepped on the wooden harbor of P-Town I was 10 pounds lighter with stress falling of my body like beads of sweat.

As an news addict, I knew I would have to give up my fix, and try to cope only talking about the color of the sky, the eclectic harmony of people in P-Town, and just how wonderful it was to be in this town of dreams. I avoided cable news, tried to run past new stands avoiding any glaring headlines, and shied away from any conversation political in nature. The world was going to spin and churn, lies were going to be told, hypocrisy would still reign supreme and decisions to ignore the poor while rewarding the wealthy would still be made, even if I was unaware of the exact details.

It has been difficult for me to not think about the bigotry of both Michelle Bachmann and her homophobic closeted husband Marcus. I have tried to stop worrying about the closure of government and the raising of the debt ceiling in the Republican/Baggers attempt to do all and everything to not support Obama. I have tried not to perseverate over more states removing women's reproductive rights, Gay rights, workers rights. I know my worry does not make the world better or worse. It has been difficult not to want to make wrongs right. But try I must.

It is sunny, and some new shade of blue has appeared on the horizon, and the water has morphed into a turquoise/light blue green pallet calmly calling out look at me. Time for a stroll and time to wonder just how amazing this world can be in spite of the politicians who think that the only world that counts is the one they try so hard to control.

Provincetown, a place for rebirth, richness and required living.

No comments :