Friday, April 6, 2018

pessimistic

I have become more pessimistic regarding the future of this nation, currently then I have ever been during my life. Not the pessimism that as the Evangelicals swoon over, The End Days are near, but more so that the end of freedom and equality for ALL are much too certain. And that the end of freedom and equality for ALL will commence due to the few. Democracy had always sounded like a sweet political philosophy ever since the Revolutionary War. In studying US History, I understand that true democracy never fully blossomed, but the intent and the interest to let democracy grow was in the air. When mankind stops believing in truth and prefer to state truth a form of corruption appears. When mankind stops believing in government and instead think they ARE the government, we too often experience authoritarianism, dictatorship, or royalty; each which permits a select few to act as Lord and Master. I am not naive enough to believe that once the Civil War ended, the African American population became equals to their ex-owners. I am not naive enough to believe when signs attached to neighborhoods stating, no Jews, no Colored, no Catholics permitted were burnt and destroyed that all neighborhoods were easily accessible. I am not too naive to believe that when the Americans with Disabilities Act became law, workplaces welcomed anyone who needed assistance access. I am not naive enough to believe that who the Supreme Court  announced that same-sex marriage is the law of the land that each and every state and municipality would, with warm hearts agree. And I am not naive enough to believe that the Me Too movement, and the fight for equal rights for women has endeared enough of the genders of conservatives to understand that it was not one of Adam’s ribs that created women. BUT, I once was certain all of these attempts at a more democratic process and policy COULD and WOULD lead this nation further. Now, with the hacking of Trump into the Oval Office, the blackmailing of the RNC to support Trump and the tactics of fear and loathing toward the very inept, the very unintelligent, the very self loathing Americans, I grow scared and as I started out writing, pessimistic regarding the future of this nation.


So, I worry, as is my strong personality trait, I worry that this horror show created by Putin, enabled by Evangelicals, permitted by Republicans and approved by bigots racists, homophobes, misogynists and very dumb people will not end easily. The Democrats pat themselves on the back with a variety of special election victories. The Talking Heads, still making lots of dollars to pontificate on matters to which they only can provide suggestions, the so called news reporters, and hopeful Democrat pundents all pretend that the MidTerm election is going to be an upheaval, almost a revival bringing back some form of checks and balances which have been desperately missing in action. BUT yet…there has been little done to correct hacking into polling places, little done to correct strict voter ID Laws. And worst of all Trump still sits in the Oval Office, and via his paranoia, and mental illness he still has a lot of tricks up his sleazy sleeve to make sure the MidTerm election are still rigged or worse, quite never happen. I hear a lot of pep talk, but to win the game it takes practice, guts, sweat and training. I see and feel none of that, so I remain pessimistic.