Tuesday, March 30, 2021

My Aunt Meercy

 For me, Passover has always been the one Jewish holiday, which inspires and inspired me to actually seek the wisdom of the universe, and try my hardest, to become introspective. Maybe, as a child, Passover was always a springtime celebration (even when it snowed in March or April, and I had to shovel the entire sidewalks of the row of houses we had lived because I was the boy and boys did those kinds of things), added to that, so many gray and dark features of nature actually began to tease us with hints of color; insisting that what might have seemed dead, was only dormant. I know, my mother was her most creative with her talent for baking and cooking, and no matter how she feigned fatigue, Passover Seder was indeed her opening night, and the aromas of her special touch still resonate in the part of my brain that still drools thinking of her culinary abilities.

 

There always seemed to be promising during Passover, hiding in plain sight, but obviously begging to be found; and as a young kid, I searched for it, no matter how large or small, grabbed it and tried my best to understand it. I have been suffering, like so many from PTSD in the form of Trump, HIS SWAMP CREATURES, HIS ENABLERS, HIS DIRECT ASSAULT ON THE HEALTH AND WELFARE FROM HIS DENIAL OF COVID, and although I smiled with the election of Biden-Harris, the toxicity of the Republicans and their Domestic Terrorist Base of 1% Donors, still makes me feel sick. So, during this Passover holiday, I needed to inhale, breathe so hard that my ribs almost cracked; hoping to find, as my breath seeped all the way down to my toes, some answers, some HOPE, and INSIGHT! And I did…

 

…My Aunt Meercy, my mother's youngest sister, who at the time I thought looked like Doris Day, was as cool as Auntie Mame, and my favorite relative, was always THERE for me, even when I didn’t realize I needed someone to be THERE FOR ME. Aunt Meercy introduced culture and the arts to me. She explained that not everyone is creative, but ME, Gerry Buncher, was damn well, one of the most she had ever known. Aunt Meercy also would beg me to always draw past the lines, and if necessary make up my own lines. She also told me, one day you will FINALLY see yourself, not as others wish you to be but as you NEED TO BE. And Aunt Meercy also said, and I quote… “Some people insist on Evil because it is easier to say yes than to fight and find fault. You, are not like that, and you must, with all your might fight against the failures of the frail and feeble.” Every time I rant and rave and try my hardest to call out those whose joy is to bring misery, I remember my Aunt Meercy even more. And being that it IS Passover, I am even more aware of from whence I came and who I should become!