Thursday, January 26, 2012

$950 a night

When I was the Executive Director of a Northern California JCC I spent a lot of time with benefactors and donors of the agency many of whom were very wealthy individuals. One fund raising event took us to Napa and a day of both wine and food tasting. It was fun and my first time in Napa so it was also a chance for me to experience a part of the world beautiful and bountiful.

We were at our third vineyard and spending time at Julia's Kitchen a space designated as the official kitchen of Julia Child the television cooking queen. The ladies with whom I was sharing a bottle of Chablis, were a bit tipsy and discussing some of the places in which they spent their vacation. The conversation focused on a hotel spa located in Aspen. Three of the four ladies had spent a week at the spa and were effervescent and effusive regarding their week long sojourn at the hotel spa. They were trying to convince the fourth lady to book a reservation and told her that once there she would return often. Well, she said is it pricey? A look of shock fell across the three other ladies faces. A bargain the three shouted, rooms are $950 a night and actually better to book a whole week as they discount the price so all you pay is $6500. ( a savings of $150)

The fourth lady still did not look convinced of the bargain or the price when the other three ladies turned toward me and one of them said as the others starred at me, tell her how great the place is Gerry, we're sure you've been there.

(Now a bit of a note here: One... I have never been there, and I think I had never spent no more then $150 on a hotel room ever but if I had even spent that much money it had to be one of those times of my life where for the night I was delirious. Two... Vacations, were enjoyable but I had to budget for any or all vacations and perhaps the $950 a night for the hotel spa room would have been the total if I was lucky to have spent on the whole week of my vacation. Three...no one I had known until that conversation ever spent $6500 for just a hotel. Four... I was the Executive Director of a communal agency and no way no how would my salary permit me to spend $6500 a week to stay anywhere.)

Another lady interrupted the question with a comment saying Gerry we all respect your opinion so tell her how nice of a hotel it is.

There had been many occasions while as the Executive Director, my opinion came to be called upon, and many an occasion where being the boss was not all that fun because I had to be decisive and make a point. This was an extemporaneous moment and one where spontaneity was of the essence. There was an assumption I was in the same social strata as these wealthy ladies and with that financially I too could afford the same toys as they.

Honesty had to rise to the top and as it did I looked at each woman in the eye and said, I have never been to the spa hotel because I could never afford the fee. Before the three women turned to stone, I added but if cost is not the issue I am sure it would be a great place to vacation.

There was silence, awful silence for about 10 seconds (seemed and eternity), and one of the ladies as she took a swig of her Chablis said with a cheerful smile and chirpy tone oh makes sense, but I am sure when you can afford it, it will be fun.

Mitt Romney is not shy to state that he is proud to be of the 1% and eager to point out that he pays his taxes and there is nothing wrong in being wealthy. He had a Swiss bank account, as many wealthy people do who like secrecy, he has a tax address in the Caymans as do many a million, and billionaire, and since most of his income comes from investments he has no qualms in paying less then 14%. For Mr. Romney and his circle of friends there is nothing odd or obscure about paying less taxes to no taxes, finding locations for your money other than the US and like my wealthy ladies paying $950 a night for a hotel room.

I was not upset with my ladies or their assumption comparing my wealth as the same as theirs. My ladies live a life that can afford $950 a night hotel rooms and Mitt Romney lives a life of making $45 million a year. WHAT did surprise me was the assumption that everyone was just like my ladies, and that the commonalities of their lives were the same priorities of almost anyone else including an Executive Director.

Mr. Romney, immediately after the State of Union address, has lectured to the lemmings in attendance insisting that President Obama has lost touch with the American people and the American way. Mr. Romney who insists Corporations are people insists along with passing a law to lower his taxes he will speak to the needs of everyone else's concerns reasoning that if the rich remain rich the economy will thrive (just like it happened during the hey days of the Bush Tax Cuts). He is after all as he proudly states just like us.

I don't fault Mitt for being rich and living a life I cannot afford, but I am pissed as hell that he thinks that he should continue his lifestyle as I have to prioritize health care, food and rent for my lifestyle. I am angry at his arrogance in not admitting that not all of us have Swiss bank accounts or 5 homes. I am pissed that he assumes being poor or unemployed is a choice. And I am not forgiving that he has very little affinity with the average American who survives barely on an average of $40,000 while he laughs at making $375, 000 calling it chump change.

I want a president who at least if not speaking my language understands the translation of it. $950 for a hotel room... hmmmm hoping that when the next inauguration takes place Obama is placing his hand on the Bible you are spending that money at the spa hotel.

No comments :