Thursday, August 6, 2026

I am confused

 I am confused, let alone confused, not to mention concerned.

I am a Democrat. (I remember way back in the dark ages, growing up in a family that supported Adlai Stevenson for President against Dwight D. Eisenhower.) I remember hearing my parents comment that Republicans hated Democracy, and to be a Republican was to admit to bigotry and racism, and this was in the early 1950s. 

I acknowledged my support for Democrats as a kid in college, and when I became a parent, I understood that the best bet for the future of my children was to support the political party that actually tried to put people's welfare over their own selfish interests.

I have become way too savvy to think that just voting Democrat was the only way to protect American values, and I have become way too knowledgeable and less gullible to think that all Democrats were perfect. But in the end, when comparing the two political parties, I remain a fan of Democrats.

But here is the rub: for me, if you will, it seems that way too many Democrats do not look at the entire political picture, preferring, so it seems to me, to choose what might seem good to them personally over what it takes to actually win in an election.

I am Progressive. I am Liberal. But in the year 2026, when the most important priority should be removing Trump’s power, and ridding ourselves of a Republican Party whose priority is to Trump and not the average American, I worry that, once again Democrats seem to ignore the facts that now more than ever, it might be time to compromise on their candidates, because, now more than ever, if the democrats do not take control of Congress, there will be no tomorrow.

In some primary elections, the democrats have voted for candidates who are not moderates. They are candidates who seem attractive to Democrats, but are they the people who, in an election, can sway the Independents and some Republicans?

I want change; I want new and vibrant politicians in power, but I believe that none of that can happen until Democrats win in Congress. Change must happen, but right now, if the only change we witness is within the Democratic Party rather than the general public, will that change ever see fruition?

I worry that American political history has demonstrated that if the change is within a particular party and is isolated from the general electorate, will that change find footing?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it hit the ground, did that tree really fall?