Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Intent

I have often wondered if the act of doing something is the same, or different than the intention of doing something. Is the demonstration of self, sufficient enough, even if the meaning of that action is filled with lots of blank spaces? Are we more about the show then we are regarding the tell? Is it more about watch what I say; rather then, please listen to what I said?

Big political battles have been brewing regarding our National Anthem. Many of us are dismayed that any American would have the audacity to kneel as the Star Bangled Banner plays loud and plays proud. Our first go to argument is that this song carries the weight of the US Constitution, followed by the second defense for standing; how dare you insult the Troops and the First Responders. We are a nation who incites symbols to help define our patriotism, and disgust easily when any of those symbols are disrespected. We recently have judged the love for this country and decided those who stand, stand because they ARE the true Americans, while those who kneel are nothing more but contrite traitors. 

If I am an American, carrying my Confederate Flag, wearing my white hood and white robe, preferring my black and red Nazi uniform and I DO STAND for the National Anthem, do I represent the glorious qualities of the USA, more then those who kneel, insisting that equality for all is not EQUAL for some? If I stand, swearing that this country is a Christian nation, filled with the values and morals found only in a Christians Bible, and to be a true American you must convert to this supposedly national religion; am I more of a true American then those who kneel doing so to argue that this nation was created with a divide between church and state?  Throughout my life I have never understood, why, many times, what we see seems to trump what we know; or why we take to heart the images rather than the intent?