Monday, October 14, 2024

He is no friend

 Harris and Trump vie for Jewish voters unsettled by Israel-Gaza conflict. “People aren’t saying: ‘I never will vote for Democrats,’” Michael Schwartz, who oversees Pennsylvania volunteers for the Jewish Democratic Council of America. “It’s more, ‘You need to convince me, because some trust has been lost.’ This is a small trend, but it’s out there. The question is how big it is.” (The Washington Post)

I am an American who was raised and nurtured in a Jewish family. My entire professional career has been working in the Jewish Communal world. I am proudly an American, and I am just as proudly an American Jew. I firmly believe in the state of Israel, and I just as firmly believe that Jewish people living anywhere in the world have the right to exist, the right to equality, and the right to live in peace. 

 

When I read about the super-wealthy Jewish donors supporting TRUMP, I become nauseated. Somehow, this demographic of Jews seems to believe that Trump's so-called affection for Israel makes him some king of the Jews. This same demographic of Jews in America too quickly forgets Trump’s anti-Semitic tropes and his disparaging of Jews living not in Israel but in the United States.  TRUMP made it very clear that there are good people on both sides, as in the stating that Nazis are fine folks.          

 

Trump's disdain for any minority is apparent and appalling. Trump’s association with Project 2025 clarifies that he supports an Evangelical Christian Nationalist America. Yes, the Jewish people living in Israel should live in peace, but Trump has demonstrated that Jews living in America do not deserve the same fate. Have the Jewish voters who either still support Trump or the so-called undecided Jewish voters pretend that there is no difference between Harris and Trump ever read history books? Trump hates, Trump loathes, Trump is a con. Trump is not a friend, a cohort, a believer in the Jewish people.