Tuesday, August 16, 2016

summer place

“…a million tomorrow’s will never erase, the fun and the joy, the beauty of our summer place…” (Emma Farm Camp Song), sung at the very end of a long day, as we sat around the campfire, ready to say goodnight and excitedly arise the next morning for even more memories.  I had the opportunity to be a counselor at Emma Farm, and watch my kids delight singing that same camp song when they attended Emma Kauffman Camp as campers and then working there as counselors. Whether located in Harmony PA or in Morgantown WV, camp was a place to be as big as you wished, as bold as you wanted, as boisterous as you could be and as beautiful as you should be.

I have grown, gone on in my life, but the wonders of my summer place still waft and weigh heavy in my soul, then and now. Magic is always in front of us, all we have to do is slow down, close our eyes, breathe in a slow bit of breath, open our minds and hocus pocus, dreams come into focus. Provincetown has proven, for me, to be the place where millions of tomorrows begin, but never end. Provincetown is a place where you never have to say if only, but instead gleefully shout, right now. It is a combination of quick, but quiet…of immense and internal…of nature and nurture. 


Day Two, and everything I thought I had noticed from the past, reappears in the most glorious of colors, it reignites the imagination, and it remains the same while totally changing right in front of your eyes. How grateful I am to find my summer place, again!