Wednesday, February 2, 2022

QBism

  

I am back to blogging. I HAD to take a few days off because I realized that all of my ANGST, created AGONY, the AGONY pure ANXIETY, which led to a daily dose of ANGUISH! I had to try and discover why, the CRAZINESS of DENIAL, the INSANITY of STUPID, and the sheer DENIAL of FACT had become the PREVALENT form of REALITY; for some, and for way too many!

 

Your experience of the world is unique to you. So is your interpretation of it, which depends on your prior beliefs, yearnings, and aversions, and on what matters to you. No wonder we often disagree vehemently, violently, on what has happened and what it means. (Scientific American)

 

I must admit that I am far from a knowledgeable individual regarding PHYSICS, or the MATHEMATICS OF LIFE. I struggled with Algebra 1, almost had spontaneous human combustion in my Geometry Class, and when I took Chemistry I was seated in the first row (the dummy row) by my Chemistry teacher! But as my world grew into decades, I have tried to understand, the absolute FUCKED -UP-NESS, all around me.

 

 A newish interpretation of quantum mechanics called QBism (pronounced “Cubism,” like the art movement) makes subjective experience the bedrock of knowledge and reality itself. David Mermin, a prominent theorist, says QBism can dispel the “confusion at the foundations of quantum mechanics.” You just have to accept that all knowledge begins with “individual personal experience.” According to QBism, each of us constructs a set of beliefs about the world, based on our interactions with it. We constantly, implicitly, update our beliefs when we interact with relatives who refuse to get vaccinated or sensors tracking the swerve of an electron. The big reality in which we all live emerges from the collisions of all our subjective mini-realities. (Scientific American).

 

Scientific American is not easy reading for me. Too often I will really try to read an entire article, only to find my brain imitating Homer Simpson’s brain when after a few seconds all he hears is “BEER!” I don’t say “BEER,” BUT, I begin to feel a cramping sensation at my cortex, and immediately say, “FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH AND WELFARE, JUST STOP READING!” But maybe, just maybe there is some SCIENTIFIC method to the madness of the MINDLESS…or maybe NOT!

 

But QBism’s core message is that the idea of “a single objective reality is an illusion.” A dream, you might say. (Scientific American)