Sunday, October 21, 2018

dark, stormy night

It was a dark and stormy night…okay forget the stormy part, but it was dark, very, very dark. During the years when my son was searching for colleges, he and I spent a weekend at Ithaca College. In the day, the campus, located on the Finger Lakes of New York State, make for a quaint and quite appealing local…that is if you like to be far from any maddening crowd, and the isolation of the forest…lots and lots of forest. Adam and I spent the daylight hours doing our Campus Visit routine, and when night approached, we decided to catch a movie before returning to the motel which was located a few miles away. My penchant for scary movies is excellent, and my kids grew up learning about my passion for the supernatural themes movies, so Adam and I took in a feature of a film called “Fire in the Sky.” Getting straight to the theme, it is a movie, (based on a true story…aredon't they all based on true events)…regarding a man who was not only abducted by aliens (not the kind Trump uses as bait for his MAGA Klansmen) but the kind from non-Earth places. The movie was shot with all the right suggestive action scenes, and even if you wanted to pooh-pooh the entire thing, it was pretty tricky to actually deny any of this happened. Being brave souls, Adam and I laughed the whole premise of the movie as a great hoax and headed home. However, the beautiful daylight showcasing the mountains and the forests, the creeks, flora and, fauna, had turned to a dark and forbidding night. The kind of night, where you check the back seat twice before entering the car, make sure ALL of the locks on the door as well as the window locks are LOCKED, and all you hear in your head is one more mile until we are home…safe. Suddenly our bravery turned into skepticism, which turned into silence, which turned into a brief bit of WHAT IF…Neither Adam nor I spoke of the film (an old Romanian superstition, taught by my Grandma Braff, was that speak not of it, and IT will avoid you). Adam and I got back to the hotel, turned on every light in the room, shut the curtains extra tightly, and then remarked about, just how paranoid that movie made the two of us feel. Of course, it wasn’t real, but WAS IT NOT, REALLY REAL!

A friend of mine, a few days ago, a man highly regarded in the profession of mental health, asked a question on his post stating and I paraphrase: Is it me, am I paranoid but does anyone think, that Trump and his band of goons, may have planned the Immigration Caravan from Central America to Mexico and eventually America. How often has the Trump Crime Family been the real instigators into faux crisis, which then become more fodder for the MAGA Klansmen to become a mob and threaten the stability of not only this nation but the perceived enemies of the state? As I read my friends question which for me was more in the of rhetoric, then just a quizzical assumption. In the age of Trump, nothing is as it seems it should be and Opposite Land is prime property.


So, I will go on record asking yet more rhetorical questions, which in normal times would have me considered a Conspiracy Theorist. Trump stated a few weeks ago, the US needs a war. Trump has as of a few days ago, decided that he is pulling the US out of a deal with the Russians to ban more short range and long range nuclear warheads (how many nuclear bombs does it really take to murder billions of people). Recently the US has flown some war games over Ukraine. So here is my paranoia: Putin wants more nuclear weapons to intimidate Europe, Trump pretends he is a patriot and feels the US IS the nation who needs more nuclear bombs. Ukraine is the bane of Putin’s existence. A minor skirmish breaks out right before Mid-Terms. As good patriots, we should side with the Commander-In-Chief. We call a truce right before a real war breaks out, of course right after the Mid-Terms. Trumps thinks this will keep the GOP in power, and all the while Putin continues to enlarge is nuclear capacity threatening Europe, and it becomes a win-win for Putin, and once again, America and its allies lose.  My son Adam and I knew, in the safety of the movie theater, there was no such thing as an alien abduction…but then it became a dark and stormy night, and all bets were off!