Saturday, October 20, 2018

musicals

For me, there is one great thrill, it is the magic, imagination, and imagery of the Musical Theater. During the beginning years of my professional career, I had the opportunity to direct and choreograph a variety of musicals, for Teens. There was an amazement of standing on the stage and pretending that no matter the situation, adding a soft shoe, a diamond step, a kaleidoscope of kids kicking, some with two left feet others with the agility of athletes, combine that with harmonies, melodies, and the wham-bam of entrances and exits, life was good. My philosophy was that anyone who wanted their chance to sing or dance or act should and could. Since life itself was bout chances and choice, why not provide those same opportunities in a microcosm like a musical comedy.

I wish, with the terrible times in which we find ourselves, that act two of this dreadful parable about good and bad would consider its finale finally, and like the musical the good guy or gal wins, the bad guy is found to be nothing more than the selfish fool, and those who knew right from wrong could sing that standing ovation final song, with the audience exploding with such you and relief as to cause a 5 minute standing ovation. Often times, it was the lyrics, the words sung, providing greater insight into the plight, the purpose and perhaps the future of these made up characters, who often times truly represented the dreams and desires of real people. Too bad, in the middle of chaos and confusion we just can’t stop, wait for the spotlight to shine, to sing and dance to express just how we feel! For the times in which we find ourselves, and for the sheer desire of relief, I will rediscover music from Musicals and amaze at their relevance for the world in which I am living.

Do you hear the people sing? Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people, Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart, Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start When tomorrow comes! (You Hear the People Sing- Les Miserables)

And there was music playing, Catching a nation in its prime...
Beggar and millionaire, Everyone, everywhere
Moving to the Ragtime! It was the music
Of something beginning, An era exploding,
A century spinning, In riches and rags,
And in rhythm and rhyme. The people called it Ragtime…(Ragtime-Ragtime)

Every man has his daydreams, Every man has his goal
People like the way dreams have Of sticking to the soul
Thunderclouds have their lightning, Nightingales have their song
And don't you see I want my life to be, Something more than long...
Rivers belong where they can ramble, Eagles belong where they can fly
I've got to be where my spirit can run free
Got to find my corner of the sky (Corner of the Sky-Pippin)

Trump and his Republican cohorts, scare me, I want to resist, I want a revolution from the dictatorial leadership of men like McConnell and Company. I want freedom, equality, fairness, and justice. And I want my voice heard on the side of good. And when the curtain falls at the end of this play, I want to be on stage taking a bow, thanking the audience of America for doing the right thing, as the wrong thing dies a death, and never, ever returns. We are all in this PLAY together!