Tuesday, November 23, 2021

full frontal

 “…Barr then spoke to Mitch McConnell. The Senate majority leader hadn't spoken up and was therefore portrayed as pro-Trump but was actually one of the few high-level elected officials who was thinking strategically at the time, his actions matching his words. He told Barr they still needed Trump to focus on Georgia ahead of the January 5 runoff election that would determine if Republicans held the Senate. "I can't afford a big frontal attack on the president at this point," McConnell told Barr.

According to both "Betrayal" and "Peril," McConnell felt that he couldn't declare Joe Biden the winner, fearful that his pronouncement would provoke Donald Trump into doing something like sabotage the Georgia race, or worse…” (Newsweek)

 

My Grandpa Buncher, owned a Tailor Shop in a neighborhood of Pittsburgh, called Shadyside. In the 1940’s and 1950’s gentrification was as much a foreign word as climate change, carbon footprint, and pollution. In its earliest days Shadyside Tailor Shop, was one more small business on a soon to emerge important street of Small Business, called Walnut Street. Way back in the earliest days, the Shadyside neighborhood was a place for the ultra-wealthy Pittsburgh elite, names like Clay, Mellon, Scaife, Carnegie, Frick, and until most of those families grew tired of the “everyman,” suddenly moving too close for comfort, the Elite of Pittsburgh Society moved away, but close enough to Shadyside to shop the businesses necessary for daily existence.

 

When my Grandfather retired, sad that my father did not desire to take over the Tailor Shop (my Grandfather was willing to change the name to Buncher and Son), he finally spoke about his clientele. It was my Bar Mitzvah, I became a man in the Jewish Tradition, so Tailor Shop talk was now a right of passage. Here are snippets of Grandpa-Grandson advice: Never deny being Jewish, many of his wealthy clients thought the name Buncher was Polish or German, my Grandfather replied he was a Ukrainian Jew. Never let people parade in a float of money. When the wealthy clients would insist their fabrics were too fine to be badly soiled, my Grandfather would tell them maybe you spent too much money on something cheap. And Grandpa Buncher told me, be a MENCH but never let anyone think they can wipe their feet on you because of a last name. He would tell the staff of the Mellon’s or Scaife’s, my name is spelled B-U-N-C-H-E-R and this is MY shop! And as I recall, using other words, my Grandfather told me, be direct, don’t hesitate when you know right from wrong, as painful as it might be…So to PEONS like McConnell and Barr shame on you for not doing anything but licking the entrails of an ENEMY OF THE STATE, like TRUMP!