Tuesday, November 2, 2021

where are we going

 “…No matter where I run I meet myself there,

Looking inside me, what do I see?

Anger and hope and doubt,

What am I all about?

And where am I going?

You tell me!” (Where Am I Going/ Cy Coleman)

 

It was 1971, my first Teen Musical as a Director and Choreographer. Charity a dancer for hire is desperately trying to find love, and more so the truth about being in love. The play was Sweet Charity. Charity Hope Valentine was known to her best friends as the Gal for whom they said, "you run your heart like a hotel — you've always got people checking in and checking out". Charity never stopped trying to believe in something. She hoped that the TRUTH-HONESTY would triumph, and the CRAP and INSINCERITY would be doomed. Charity sings the song, “Where Am I Going, only to discover, she just might be traveling in circles. This was my first Off-Off-Off-Off Broadway production, and I loved every minute of it!

 

November 2, 2021. Election Day in America! Just the term ELECTION DAY IN AMERICA may become a very obsolete “Old Timey” irrelevant sentence. Election Day in America! It may fall prey to the term, “Critical Race Theory”, the excuse to never speak of the bigoted, racist, and malevolent international acts either YOUR ancestors or YOU actually performed. Election Day in America! How in the world could or would or should anyone vote for a Republican candidate, unless he or she has actually called out the Insurrection as a COUP against Democracy, and AMERICA! I read that somehow, enough of a population of voters have forgotten or forgiven TRUMP and the Fascists surrounding him trying to tear down our Democracy, and I grow so ill in my gut as to want to PUKE, nonstop!

 

The song “Where Am I Going,” popped into my head as I felt a sick spiral sensation. January 6, 2021, was only 10 months ago, and we are still feeling the aftershocks of a wanna-be AUTHORITARIAN and his band of wanna-be SS Troops. Where am I going, and where the fuck are we as a nation going to end up?