Monday, January 16, 2023

MLK 2023

 "I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant." (Martin Luther King/ Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, Oslo, Norway, 1964.

 

So many important quotes by Reverend Martin Luther King, but for me, during these times of continuous attempts of Sedition and Treason; this quote from 1964, sadly rings as loud as did then, for now.

 

As I have been able to grow older, it seems that each year, I have worried more and more about how GOOD somehow is drowning in a pool of BAD, not only in America but throughout the world. As a teen of the sixties, and a young adult of the seventies, I witnessed great attempts to embrace freedom. In the sixties, we grew our hair long and protested wars. In the seventies there seemed to be a revolution that warranted respect and equality for women, a sexual revolution, and more inroads for People of Color and the LGBT Community. The future it seemed to me, was actually as many writers of Science Fiction, predicted, would truly demonstrate that humankind, could actually BECOME KIND!

 

None of this Pre- During-Post Trump Madness, just fell upon us. We should have paid attention to Chicken Little, who predicted that indeed “THE SKY IS FALLING.” Eyes Wide Open,” we saw this hate, bigotry, loathing fomenting, but somehow thought as MLK stated, “…that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality…” so instead we became MAD, as like the fictitious character from MAD Magazine Alfred E. Neuman we decided on "What, me worry?”

 

At times I find it overwhelming to “Keep on Keeping on,” but then I read the words of people like Martin Luther King, and try my best to think, “This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant."