Friday, August 5, 2022

"Eve of Destruction/1964"

  

It was 1964, and I was fifteen years old in my freshman/sophomore year of high school. After having been in an elementary school from kindergarten to the eighth grade, this new frontier was a bit daunting, and a whole lot scary. Eighth-grade kids were kings in my elementary school, but now I was just a peon and those seniors in high school seemed old enough to be my parent's age. But now, somehow I realized there was a responsibility on my part to make a difference. I was never good at tackling my own issues of self-doubt or insecurity, but looking around me, I understood, that to be alive meant to do something. There was chaos in this world, and I, to this day remember listening to the song ‘Eve of Destruction’ written by Steve Barri and P.F. Sloan and sung by Barry McGuire. And to this day I ALSO remember how those lyrics sent chills up and down my spine.

 

“Don't you understand what I'm trying to say

Can't you feel the fears I'm feeling today?

If the button is pushed, there's no runnin' away

There'll be no one to save with the world in a grave

Take a look around you boy, it's bound to scare you, boy…” (Eve of Destruction/1964)

 

“And think of all the hate there is in Red China

Then take a look around to Selma, Alabama

Ah, you may leave here for four days in space

But when you return, it's the same old place

The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace

You can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace

Hate your next door neighbor but don't forget to say grace…” (Eve of Destruction/1964)

 

I am now that age of being as old as my parents. I have woken up every day since the end of NORMAL TIME, aka TRUMPS theft of the election, and more and more and more and more, I grow afraid, I grow worried, I grow angrier and angrier as I witness, the insanity, of mere mortals who desire to be like the Gods of Mt. Olympus. Bad women and men, becoming louder and louder. Evildoers with more evil-minded intentions and at the ready to have the world implode if they do not get their wishes and wants. I will be loud, I will Act Up, but I am not certain what effect I might have! 

 

“And you tell me

Over and over and over again, my friend

How you don't believe

We're on the eve of destruction” (Eve of Destruction)